- Swim Guide Smartphone app for water quality. Explanation in blog post.
- The water quality testing story thus far:
- Current situation of Water Quality Testing, Suwannee River Basin 2020-08-02
- WWALS Summary of FDEP chemical and biological tracers, Withlacoochee and Suwannee Rivers 2020-08-05
- WWALS Honored at Georgia DNR Confluence Conference as Volunteers of the Year 2020-07-29
- Year in review: water quality testing, February 2020-2021
- WWALS composite table of Georgia and Florida results on the Withlacoochee and Suwannee Rivers, plus Okapilco and other creeks, from December 3, 2019, forward, is on the WWALS google drive. Most of our recent WWALS blog posts about testing results are below here under Results. Numerous snapshots of the WWALS composite table have been posted since December 2019 in Valdosta Spills, but Valdosta is not the only source of contamination, and Valdosta has not spilled into the Withlacoochee River since the one big one in early December 2019.
- WWALS Water Quality Testing Results for all WWALS testing stations in the Suwannee River Basin (including the Alapaha, Little, and Santa Fe Rivers, as well as the Withlacoochee and Suwannee) are on the Georgia Adopt-A-Stream website.
- City of Valdosta results since December 3, 2019, are on the city’s website as of 2020-02-14 under Water Quality Data. Click on “RIVER & CREEK TESTING DATA”. To get the most current table you may have refresh your browser cache first (control-shift-R).
- Florida results since 2016 are online as of 2020-02-28 under Suwannee River Basin Sampling Locations. Includes data from the Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP), Florida Department of Health (FDOH) and county Health Departments, and from Suwannee River Water Management District (SRWMD). Under Sampling Results, click on Sampling Results for Suwannee River Basin Stations 2016- Present. To get the most current table you may have refresh your browser cache first (control-shift-R).
- What do these numbers mean? See separate web page.
- Rainfall sources. See separate web page.
WWALS Water Quality Testing Program
You can help WWALS test water quality by donating to our water quality testing program.
Beyond sewage spills (which come from more than one place), something else is getting into our springs, rivers, and wells, nitrates from fertilizer, maybe livestock, wildlife, domestic pets, or septic tanks. We want to know when, where, and what, so maybe we can do something about it.
And when there is a spill, the testing required by the permits is very limited, so we want to follow up spills and find out how far they went and what they affected.
So WWALS has started a Water Quality Testing Program.
- Report a problem form.
- Request a new testing station form.
- Testing stations, testers, and frequency (work in progress).
- Sign up to do water quality testing.
The next Georgia water quality testing training will be:
9AM, Saturday, May 8, 2021,
mostly via YouTube videos and Zoom.
Be sure to fill out the google form above so we will know how many. Be ready to test regularly after you get trained.
Anybody can take the training, which is free. But to test for WWALS requires being a WWALS member.
We will also schedule another Florida water quality testing training. Meanwhile, you can take the Georgia testing and test in Florida. And you can post your results in Georgia Adopt-A-Stream, and we can use them in Swim Guide.
- We held Florida water quality testing training noon, Monday, January 21, 2019, at Suwannee River State Park. We will be scheduling another Florida training.
- We held Georgia water quality testing training 2PM, Saturday, April 27, 2019, at Reed Bingham State Park, after the BIG Little River Paddle Race.
- Another recent Georgia Training, Water Quality Testing, Pictures 2018-09-16.
Early test results directly related to Valdosta sewage spills are on the Valdosta Spills web page.
But that’s not the only source of stream contamination. It turns out most of the contamination comes from manure runoff. Most of our recent WWALS blog posts about testing results are here.
Update 2021 Results for calendar year 2021. See also 2021–WWALS composite spreadsheet of GA-FL water quality, Little, Withlacoochee, Alapaha, and Suwannee Rivers.
No rain, clean Withlacoochee River 2021-05-27
- 2021-05-22: All clear, Withlacoochee River 2021-05-20.
- 2021-05-14: Good upstream, bad down, Withlacoochee River 2021-05-13.
- 2021-05-08: Clean upstream and downstream, Withlacoochee River 2021-05-06.
- 2021-05-03: Still clean Friday: Withlacoochee River 2021-04-30.
- 2021-04-30: Much cleaner: Withlacoochee River 2021-04-29.
- 2021-04-29: Health alert for Withlacoochee River 2021-04-27.
- 2021-04-28: Bad upstream, too: Withlacoochee River water quality 2021-04-26.
- 2021-04-27: Very bad water quality: Withlacoochee River 2021-04-26.
- 2021-04-23: Clean Little River and Withlacoochee River clean again 2021-04-22.
- 2021-04-16: Clean again: Withlacoochee River 2021-04-15.
- 2021-04-10: Clean week, Withlacoochee River 2021-04-08.
- 2021-04-09: 2020 ANNUAL REPORT, Lowndes County Impaired Streams Monitoring 2020-04-07.
- 2021-04-06: GA-EPD GORA response about Ray City wastewater permit violations 2021-04-05.
- 2021-04-03: Little Rain, Still Clean, Withlacoochee River 2021-04-01.
- 2021-04-02: Ray City sewage spill in Berrien Press 2021-03-24.
- 2021-03-29: Still clean last week, filthy Friday before, Withlacoochee River 2021-03-26.
- 2021-03-27: Clean Withlacoochee River 2021-03-25.
- 2021-03-24: Withlacoochee River still clean, Florida bacterial advisory lifted 2021-03-23.
- 2021-03-19: Clean week despite rain, Withlacoochee River 2021-03-18.
- 2021-03-13: All clear, Withlacoochee River 2021-03-11.
- 2021-03-13: Tifton, Ashburn spills, bad downstream 2021-03-03.
- 2021-03-05: More contamination after big rains, Withlacoochee River 2021-03-04.
- 2021-02-26: Very clean Thursday, Withlacoochee River 2021-02-25.
- 2021-02-26: And more Tifton spills, two days later; Tifton Spills, Little River, New River 2021-02-18.
- 2021-02-21: Clean downstream Friday Withlacoochee River 2021-02-19.
- 2021-02-19: Tifton Sewage Spills 2021-02-16.
- 2021-02-18: Not looking good, Withlacoochee River 2021-02-16.
- 2021-02-18: WWALS Training for water quality testing, Drexel Park, Onemile Branch, Valdosta, GA 2021-02-13.
- 2021-02-13: Better, Withlacoochee River 2021-02-12
- 2021-02-13: Very bad, GA-FL line and downstream, Withlacoochee River 2021-02-11.
- 2021-02-11: Advisory lifted, Withlacoochee River, but big rains Tuesday 2021-02-09.
- 2021-02-06: Clean Forty Miles, Withlacoochee River 2021-02-04.
- 2021-02-02: Spook Bridge, Knights Ferry, Nankin, State Line: all good, Withlacoochee River 2021-01-31.
- 2021-02-01: Bad State Line, Withlacoochee River 2021-01-30.
- 2021-01-29: Very bad, health advisory, Withlacoochee River 2021-01-28.
- 2021-01-26: Bad Friday after rain, Better Sunday, Withlacoochee River 2021-01-24
- 2021-01-21: Clean Withlacoochee 2020-01-14 and Suwannee River tests 2021-01-18.
- 2021-01-14: see clarifications and updates in Withlacoochee advisory lifted; more FDEP DNA marker and chemical tracer data 2021-01-12.
- 2021-01-12: Contaminated Withlacoochee, Alapaha, Suwannee Rivers 2021-01-04; cleaner 2021-01-09.
- 2021-01-11: Much better Withlacoochee River water quality 2021-01-09.
- 2021-01-08: Bad Withlacoochee, OK Alapaha 2021-01-07.
- 2021-01-06: Bad up and down: Withlacoochee River 2021-01-05.
- 2021-01-05: Sewage Spills: Quitman, Valdosta, Tifton 2021-01-03.
- 2021-01-04: Valdosta Mildred Street Sewage Spill, Alapaha River Basin 2021-01-02.
Update 2020-02-11 New problems, February 2020 through December 2020. See also 2019-2020–WWALS composite spreadsheet of GA-FL water quality, Little, Withlacoochee, Alapaha, and Suwannee Rivers.
- 2020-12-29: Bad Nankin, Withlacoochee River 2020-12-28.
- 2020-12-27: Bad Knights Ferry and Nankin, Christmas Day, Withlacoochee River 2020-12-25.
- 2020-12-23: Watch out: contamination washing downstream, Withlacoochee River 2020-12-21
- 2020-12-16: Valdosta data: Quitman sewage spill, Okapilco Creek, Withlacoochee River
- 2020-12-15: Big sewage spill, Quitman, GA, also bad downstream previous week, Withlacoochee River 2020-12-09.
- 2020-12-14: Still clean Withlacoochee River 2020-12-12.
- 2020-12-12: Clean downstream, Withlacoochee River 2020-12-10; odd Gibson Park, Suwannee River 2020-12-05
- 2020-12-12: Adel spill, 9,000 gallons, W. 9th St. @ Joy St., into Morrison Creek, Little River 2020-12-07
- 2020-12-10: Water main burst at Baytree Road, ran into Onemile Branch 2020-12-09
- 2020-12-04: Valdosta catching illegal dumpers, and some new management
- 2020-12-04: Bad GA 133 for a week, yet good downstream, Withlacoochee River 2020-12-03
- 2020-11-27: All green with Withlacoochee River water quality 2020-11-26
- 2020-11-20: Bad at Knights Ferry, Withlacoochee River 2020-11-19.
- 2020-11-20: Good since Thursday, Withlacoochee River Water Quality 2020-11-17
- 2020-11-16: Better now, Withlacoochee River water quality 2020-11-14.
- 2020-11-13: Horrendous water quality at GA 133 & US 84 Wednesday, clean downstream 2020-11-12
- 2020-11-07: Horrid quality at GA 133 Friday, but good downstream and Saturday 2020-11-07
- 2020-11-06: Odd water quality upstream, Withlacoochee River 2020-11-04
- 2020-11-05: Tifton spilled 2,000 gallons raw sewage 2020-11-03
- 2020-11-02: Bad Knights Ferry water quality, Withlacoochee River 2020-10-30
- 2020-10-23: Clean Withlacoochee River Thursday for WWALS Boomerang Saturday 2020-10-22
- 2020-10-20: Adel spilled ten days ago; did not show up in downstream water quality data 2020-10-10
- 2020-10-17: Very clean Withlacoochee River 2020-10-15.
- 2020-10-16: Ashburn spilled sewage three times in September 2020-09-27
- 2020-10-07: Quitman, GA, April 2020 spill cause of contamination in Withlacoochee River? 2020-04-24
- 2020-10-06: Two or more sources last Tuesday, advisory lifted Monday, Withlacoochee River 2020-10-05
- 2020-10-03: Sewage spills, Suwannee River Basin, Dec. 2019 – Sept. 2020
- 2020-10-02: Health Advisory, Withlacoochee River, State Line 2020-10-02.
- 2020-09-26: GA 133 and Knights Ferry in 2.5 weeks of Valdosta and Florida water quality data 2020-09-24.
- 2020-09-22: Bad far upstream and far downstream: Withlacoochee, Clyatt Mill Creek, Suwannee, Santa Fe 2020-09-21
- 2020-09-18: OK Withlacoochee River Quality, sewage spill Suwannee, FL, Suwannee River 2020-09-17
- 2020-09-16: Bad lower Suwannee, good Withlacoochee and Alapaha 2020-09-14.
- 2020-09-13: Alapaha River good water quality at Berrien Beach and Lakeland Boat Ramp, also Withlacoochee 2020-09-12
- 2020-09-11: Withlacoochee River looks good; odd Suwannee River results 2020-09-10
- 2020-09-05: OK this weekend and last, Withlacoochee River 2020-09-03.
- 2020-09-01: Valdosta concurs last week, but not week before, Withlacoochee River 2020-08-28
- 2020-08-28: Good downstream, but recurring GA 133, Withlacoochee River 2020-08-27
- 2020-08-21: Looking clean downstream, Withlacoochee River 2020-08-20
- 2020-08-19: Valdosta concurs: Withlacoochee River quality still looks good 2020-08-17.
- 2020-08-18: Good upstream water quality, Little, Withlacoochee, Okapilco, worst Crooked Creek @ 2020-08-16
- 2020-08-15: Moultrie rain washed E. coli down Okapilco Creek; good now 2020-08-13
- 2020-08-08: WWALS concurs, good to boat, Withlacoochee River 2020-08-06.
- 2020-08-07: GA 133 Friday bad again? But good everywhere else, Withlacoochee River 2020-08-06.
- 2020-08-01: Florida clean? Withlacoochee River 2020-07-30.
- 2020-07-31: Just when you think it’s safe, nope, Withlacoochee River to GA-FL line 2020-07-29.
- 2020-07-30: Twomile Branch and Withlacoochee River 2020-07-28.
- 2020-07-27: Alert bacteria level at GA 133, Withlacoochee River, Friday 2020-07-24.
- 2020-07-23: Excellent water quality, Withlacoochee River, but raining now 2020-07-22.
- 2020-07-20: All green to go, Withlacoochee River 2020-07-18.
- 2020-07-15: Lifted: Florida Withlacoochee River Bacterial Advisory 2020-07-15
- 2020-07-14: Withlacoochee River contamination –WCTV 2020-07-13.
- 2020-07-13: Bad Friday and Saturday water quality results, Withlacoochee River 2020-07-11
- 2020-07-10: Bad Knights Ferry in Valdosta data down to state line, Monday and Wednesday 2020-07-08
- 2020-07-10: Data behind and after Florida bacterial advisory for Withlacoochee River 2020-07-09.
Update 2020-07-10 13:00: FDEP Thursday data has been posted, with results back within normal bounds.
Today FDEP posted FDOH data from Tuesday, which shows 471 cfu/100 mL E. coli at CR 150 (Sullivan Launch). Presumably this is what provoked yesterday’s bacterial advisory for the Withlacoochee River from Madison and Hamilton County Health Departments.
- 2020-07-09: Possible bacterial contamination, Withlacoochee River, Hamilton, Madison Co. FL 2020-07-09.
- 2020-07-04: Clean Little and Withlacoochee Rivers to GA-FL line 2020-07-03
- 2020-06-30: Clean weekend water quality, Withlacoochee River 2020-06-28
- 2020-06-25: Good water quality, Withlacoochee and Alapaha, but recent rains may change that 2020-06-22.
- 2020-06-23: Water quality testing on Steve Nichols radio show
- 2020-06-16: All eight Withlacoochee River landings green 2020-06-14
- 2020-06-13: Florida lifts Withlacoochee River advisory; more rain could mean more contamination 2020-06-11
- 2020-06-12: Florida, and Upstream water quality tests for Lowndes and Brooks Counties, GA 2020-06-10.
- 2020-06-11: Contamination moving downstream in Florida 2020-06-09
- 2020-06-10: Additional: Filthy Withlacoochee River Monday after Sunday rain 2020-06-08
- 2020-06-09: Filthy Withlacoochee River Monday after Sunday rain 2020-06-08
- 2020-06-04: Sunday and Monday creek and river water quality results.
- 2020-06-02: Clean Little and Withlacoochee Rivers 2020-05-31.
- 2020-05-27: Withlacoochee River still clean 2020-05-25.
- 2020-05-22: Good Withlacoochee River water quality 2020-05-20.
- 2020-05-21: Three Little River Landings in Swim Guide 2020-05-21
- 2020-05-20: Clean weekend 2020-05-17.
- 2020-05-16: Clean Withlacoochee River 2020-05-13.
- 2020-05-14: Withlacoochee River Landings on Swim Guide 2020-05-14.
- 2020-05-13: A clean week, Withlacoochee River 2020-05-08.
- 2020-05-08: Clean Withlacoochee River until next big rain 2020-05-05.
- 2020-05-04: Clean Withlacoochee River, less bad Crooked Creek 2020-05-02
- 2020-05-01: Withlacoochee River good despite dirty creek 2020-05-01
- 2020-05-01: Contamination at Running Springs, Suwannee River, near Mayo, FL 2020-04-28
- 2020-04-24: OK quality mid-week, but much rain yesterday, Withlacoochee River 2020-04-22.
- 2020-04-20: Better Saturday at Knights Ferry, Nankin, Withlacoochee River, but rain 2020-04-18.
- 2020-04-17: Cleaner Withlacoochee, horrid Crooked Creek 2020-04-16
- 2020-04-16: Bad quality north Lowndes to state line, Withlacoochee River 2020-04-15
- 2020-04-14: Cleaner at State Line, Withlacoochee River 2020-40-12.
- 2020-04-13: Bad water quality at Knights Ferry Boat Ramp, Withlacoochee River 2020-04-11.
- 2020-04-12: Sewage spill, Cherry Creek, Valdosta, FOG 2020-04-09.
- 2020-04-10: Clean in last results, but watch out after recent rains, Withlacoochee River 2020-04-08.
- 2020-04-06: Rain and dirty Withlacoochee River again 2020-04-02
- 2020-03-31: Zero E. coli at Nankin and State Line, Withlacoochee River 2020-03-29.
- 2020-03-26: Hamilton, Madison Counties Health Lift Advisory for the Withlacoochee River 2020-03-26.
- 2020-03-26: Cleaner downstream with no rain 2020-03-24.
- 2020-03-23: Filthy Crooked Creek, clean Okapilco Creek upstream 2020-03-20
- 2020-03-20: Again: alert water quality at Knights Ferry, Withlacoochee River 2020-03-18.
- 2020-03-19: Earth Day Cleanup Postponed due to pandemic: WWALS, Georgia Power, Valdosta, and Brooks County, GA, Madison County, FL.
- 2020-03-18: A good week in Withlacoochee River water quality 2020-03-16
- 2020-03-16: More testing needed to track river pollution –Suwannee Riverkeeper in Gainesville Sun 2020-03-16
- 2020-03-14: Much better water quality: Withlacoochee River, Okapilco Creek 2020-03-11.
- 2020-03-13: Video: Earth Day Cleanup and Paddle –Suwannee Riverkeeper & Georgia Power on Scott James Radio 2020-03-12.
- 2020-03-09: Bad Withlacoochee Friday, Worse Crooked Creek Saturday 2020-03-07.
- 2020-03-07: Too Numerous To Count: E. coli, Madison County, Withlacoochee River 2020-03-05.
- 2020-03-05: Cleaner Withlacoochee Monday, Tuesday; Suwannee unknown 2020-03-03
- 2020-03-02: Suwannee River contamination running downstream to the Gulf 2020-03-01.
- 2020-03-01: Still bad Saturday: Withlacoochee and Suwannee River to Mayo and Luraville 2020-02-29
- 2020-02-29: Avoid Withlacoochee River Knights Ferry to Suwannee River Dowling Park 2020-02-27
- 2020-02-23: Dirty Crooked Creek Wednesday & Friday; Withlacoochee River better in GA Wednesday 2020-02-21
Crooked Creek @ Devane Road: 22,000 cfu/100 mL E. coli 2020-02-21
- 2020-02-21: Very high E. coli on Okapilco feeder creek 2020-02-19
- 2020-02-20: Bad: Knights Ferry, Withlacoochee River, to Dowling Park, Suwannee River 2020-02-19.
Awful: Knights Ferry, Nankin, Withlacoochee River 2020-02-17.
Photo: Suzy Hall, of WWALS E. coli test results for Knights Ferry, Nankin, State Line 2020-02-17.
- 2020-02-18: Withlacoochee still not clean Thursday but not alarming in Florida results 2020-02-13
- 2020-02-11: Madison Co., FL Withlacoochee River Bacterial Advisory 2020-02-11
Earlier reports in this series are in the separate web page Valdosta Spills.
We have collected quite a bit of background water quality test data from Georgia, from Tifton, Lowndes County, and Valdosta. For these older test results, the raw Valdosta data is on the WWALS website.
- Better bacterial levels in Valdosta WQ data 2019-04-02
- E. coli at GA 133 Withlacoochee 2019-03-05
- Monthly Florida bacterial monitoring 2019-02-21
- Monthly Valdosta WQ Data 2019-02-07
- Still below the limit: fecal coliform in Valdosta river data 2019-01-02
- Bacteria levels all dropped 2018-12-12.
- Over the Fecal coliform line at the state line, Withlacoochee River 2018-12-05
- Bacterial levels rising again 2018-11-28
- Much better readings in Valdosta water quality data 2018-11-21
- What happened on the Alapahoochee River? 2018-11-14
- First flush? 2018-10-31
- Low bacterial counts at State Line Ramp 2018-10-24
- Five weeks and fecal coliform down 2018-10-17
- Four weeks of fecal coliform 2018-09-19 to 2018-10-09
- Worse upstream and far downstream, Valdosta water quality testing 2018-09-19, 2018-09-25 2018-10-02
- Valdosta water quality testing data 2018-01-04 — 2018-09-12
WWALS used to file a Georgia Open Records Act (GORA) request weekly with Valdosta, and usually getting back on Friday Valdosta’s river testing data from the preceding Wednesday. Here are the recent weeks of that data, in the format they sent and visible below.
Yes, we have suggested to Valdosta that they could put their spreadsheet online just as easily as we can.
And now Valdosta does that; see above.
[gdoc key=”https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C1DwgE2AIY8SCJUwzqyy4eMQQagvHUM7f_gElUrYYoE/edit?usp=sharing” datatables_ordering=”false”]
Much of that quality data, along with spill reports, is in this this map in Water Reporter. Eventually we hope to put much of it into Georgia Adopt-A-Stream; there’s some further training to do first.